What is Sciatica?
But what exactly is sciatica and how do physical therapists treat this complex diagnosis? The simple answer is the treatment is all dictated by the source.
Generally, Sciatica is a term that is commonly used to describe pain, weakness, numbness, or tingling that radiates down the back of the leg. Typically, the symptoms follow the distribution of the sciatic nerve, but there can be some confusion as to the source of the pain especially when the patient’s symptoms are referred. Our job as PTs is to determine the source of the nerve irritation or referral origin and treat it accordingly. This is often accomplished with a thorough musculoskeletal exam and typically without the need for costly medical imaging.
Signs & Symptoms
- Pain in the rear or leg when sitting down
- Burning or tingling feeling down the leg
- Weakness, or problems with moving your leg or foot
- Contact pain in the buttock
- Sciatic nerve and piriformis muscle irritation or pinching usually by a herniated disk
- Bone spur or overgrowth in your spine
- Spinal stenosis or narrowing of the spinal canal in the lower back
- Degenerative disc disease
Do I Need Physical Therapy?
If your pain persists or is a result of a reoccurring injury, let’s talk. Since all injuries are unique, our physical therapists will be able to put together a recovery plan specific to you to improve your ability to move, improve strength, speed up recovery and help you find sciatica relief and prevent it from reoccurring.
Very grateful to Josh for his help with back issues that were infringing on my cycling enjoyment. In the past he was very helpful in post-surgery knee rehab work. He is an amazing talented professional, and Denver is lucky to have him with us.
So happy I found Josh to lead me in my recovery. I feel stronger in the right ways and more knowledgeable about my body than I did before my injury/surgery. I feel more empowered to move forward and be able to maintain and improve my physical well being and prevent further injury because of his guidance. So much of this recovery has been focused on educating me pn my body and that information is simply priceless.
I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease back in early 2014 and was feeling pretty down after rounds of medical treatment that were only slightly helpful. After just weeks of working with physical therapist Casey, my back felt better than it had in years. Now I have hope that I can continue living an active lifestyle with limited pain as I continue to work with him. I would highly recommend Therapydia and specifically Casey Mcnitt to anyone seeking physical therapy services in the Denver area.
and Physical Therapist
Why Therapydia Denver for Physical Therapy?
At Therapydia Denver, our physical therapists offer one-on-one, hands-on treatment. You’ll spend your entire with one of our expert therapists – we won’t hand you off to a PT assistant or aide. We’ll help you understand what’s causing your pain, what you can do to relieve your pain and ways to prevent reoccurring injuries. Our physical therapists are chosen through a selection screening process to ensure you get the care you need.
Best of all, you’re covered. Therapydia works with and provides billing for more insurance groups. For clients with out-of-network benefits, most PPOs will pay a portion of treatment charges with a prescription from a physician.
- On-going wellness programs for injury prevention and performance
- Virtual access to your PT and other Therapydia experts
- Knowledgable and friendly team who values patient satisfaction and outcomes
- Manual therapy to massage and stretch muscles and joints and improve range and motion
- Guided programs with thorough explanation of diagnosis and treatment
- Latest technology and techniques for faster recovery including dry needling
- One-on-one attention with a physical therapist
- Personalized programs that evolve with your progress
- Warm, welcoming, non-clinical environment
Schedule Your Appointment
Colorado is a direct access state, meaning you can see a physical therapist without a referral or prescription from a doctor. Start your physical therapy treatment with Therapydia and leave every physical therapy treatment feeling better than before.